The SMAA has also attracted a number of prominent members. These distinguished martial artists include Cynthia Hayashi, Aikikai aikido sixth dan; Paul Martin, Japanese sword historian; Dave Lowry, a well-known martial arts writer; Hunter Armstrong, director of the International Hoplology Society (founded by the late Donn Draeger); and Wayne Muromoto, editor of The Classic Budoka blog.
- Associate Membership: allows you to be affiliated with the SMAA and receive an Associate Member certificate, our quarterly journal, e-mail newsletters, and discounts at SMAA events. Associate members have not received rank or teaching titles. The annual membership fee at this level is $20.00 (US).
- Full Membership: allows you to be affiliated with the SMAA and receive our quarterly newsletter and discounts at SMAA events. In addition, full members have received rank and teaching titles. The annual membership fee at this level is $25.00 (US).
How to Obtain an Application Form
- via the Web: Download and print out the online application form (PDF) with your web browser
- via e-mail: send a message to email@example.com
- via mail: send a letter to the SMAA HQ at the following address:
PO Box 6022
Ann Arbor, MI 48106-6022
How to Apply for Associate Membership
- a completed application form (please type or print legibly; leave the section regarding rank blank)
- a check or money order, made out to the Shudokan Martial Arts Association, for the amount of $20.00 (US)
How to Apply for Full Membership/Rank
- a completed application form (please type or print legibly)
- a typed, detailed history of your martial arts background
- copies of any rank certificates you have been awarded by recognized and legitimate associations
- a video of you performing the techniques of your martial art (in VHS or DVD format)
- a check or money order, made out to the Shudokan Martial Arts Association, for the amount of $45.00 (US); this non-refundable fee includes both your first year's full membership dues ($25.00), and an examination fee for dan rank. (For a limited time only, we are waiving the $20 exam fee! Join and be evaluated for just $25.)